|Tim Brown is an attorney at the firm with extensive knowledge in water law and environmental law. Over the course of his 40+ years of practice, Tim has witnessed and assisted to develop the laws passed by the Legislature that comprise the current Texas Water Code. In this same capacity, he has enabled the creation of several political subdivisions related to water. After graduating from law school and passing the bar, Tim became an attorney with the Texas Water Rights Commission, arising to eventually become general counsel of the agency. As general counsel of the agency, Tim had the opportunity to work with the special committee that revised the civil statutes on water into the Texas Water Code. The Water Rights Commission has evolved into the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. After leaving the Commission, Tim became an assistant attorney general, ultimately becoming the chief of the Environmental Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office. After seventeen years in state government, Tim entered private practice where he practiced with one of the leading water practice groups before leaving to form his own firm, where he practiced as a sole practitioner. Tim joined SledgeLaw Group PLLC in January 2015. Tim is from Corpus Christi and has served as the City’s Water Lawyer since the 1980s. He and his wife have three sons and four grandchildren, who all live in Austin.
- “Where the Judges got it Wrong,” University of Texas Water Law Institute, November, 2014.
- “Texas Case Law and Legislation,” CLE International, 2012.
- “Groundwater and the 82nd Legislative Session,” Texas Water Law Institute, 2011.
- “Judicial and Legislative Activity in Texas,” CLE International, 2011.
- “History of Texas Water Laws,” CLE International, 2010.
- “Statewide Groundwater Issues,” CLE International, 2010.
- “Management and Administration of Groundwater and Surface Water in Texas,” CLE International, 2009.
- “Recreational Amenity Ponds – When Groundwater and Surface Water Law Collide,” Texas Water Law Institute, 2008.
- “Groundwater and Surface Water Legal Principles, CLE International, 2008.
- “Water Legislation from the 80th Legislative Session,” Texas Water Law Institute, 2007.
- “Conversion of the Rio Grande Water,” CLE International, 2007.
- “Water Law and Issues Relating to Small Reservoirs and Stocktanks,” Texas Water Law Institute, 2006.
- “A Primer for Understanding Texas Water Law” and “Is There a Watermaster in Your Future?” Lorman Educational Services, 2006.
- “Evolution of Water Availability Determinations,” Texas Water Law Institute, 2005.
- “Transition of Agricultural Water to Municipal Uses in The Rio Grande Basin,” Law of the Rio Grande Conference, CLE International, 2004.
- “Limits on a Groundwater District’s Ability to Regulate,” Texas Water Law Institute, October 2002.
- “A Review of the Development of Texas Water Law,” CLE International, October 2001, May 2002, and October 2002.
- “Groundwater Districts: Ethics, Travel, and Expenses, Investment, Professional Services Procurement, Personnel Litigation, and Records Management Considerations,” Texas Groundwater Legal Defense and Education Fund, August 2001.
- “Development of Groundwater Regulation in Texas and Acts of the 77th Legislation,” CLE International, June 2001.
- “Development of Groundwater Regulation in Texas,” Texas Rural Water Association and Texas Water Conservation, 2001.